Friday, October 1, 2010

Revenge of the Rattlesnake

I guess it's time to put up a few race reports.

Revenge of the Rattlesnake, Davis, WV.

I was planning on taking this weekend off, but at the last minute, I managed to get out of working all weekend, packed up the car, and headed to Davis Saturday afternoon with CB, to camp out and hopefully get a decent nights sleep for a change.  Of course that didn't happen. The late night hellbender burrito seemed like such a good idea at the time. My stomach happened not to agree with me.

Wake up pretty early, tear down the tent, which we apparently set up on the spot of what would be checkpoint 3, and went to the bed and breakfast in town, for, uh, just breakfast this time.  After stuffing myself with banana and oat French Toast, registered, changed, and did some last minute bike maintenance. Rolled around for a little bit with a light warm up, and lined up at the start.  All I remember from the pre race meeting was "stay on the trail, and follow the damn arrows."  Awesome.

Roll down the fire road, into the first single track, and just about on the first rock, we have a collision!!  Managed to avoid running over Roger, who was somehow thrown off of his geared bike, (I told him it was a conspiracy set up by his jealous singlespeed that he chose not to ride again this week) and had a wide open line in front of me to chase down the fast guys.

Having a ton of fun on these trails!  Been a long time since I've ridden this part of Davis.  For the longest time I was back and forth with Benji, and we started to catch up with Elk on a pretty moderate climb leading up to a road section. Benji pulled away from me and caught him, but Elk didn't want any company, and rode away from both of us like it was nothing. Ok then, see ya later.

Heading on Mountainside trail, which was basically a really flat, extremely bumpy double track, and I heard some company coming up behind me. A quick glance showed that it was Morgan, and he was gaining on me fast.  I stepped on the gas a little more, and immediately kicked a stick into my chain, and dropped it for the first time this year. Took a few seconds to get it back on, but it was long enough for Morgan to pass me, knocking me into third.  Pop out of the rough part of Mountainside into a grass field, to find him fixing a flat!  Regain second place, and start the longest climb of the day, on a fireroad.  Amazingly I catch back up to Elk, who is also stopping to fix a flat, putting me into first. Awesome!  Now all I have to do is hold onto it for about 25 more miles.  Finish off the climb after getting passed by Roger, Mark Glass (who said he was racing master, but actually in singlespeed) and Mike, pass them again, and roll on through the aid station up a quick road climb into a screaming fast downhill fire road descent, when Glass passed me like I was standing still. Wow, gotta work on my descending for next year.  Catch back up with him pretty quickly, and keep rollin.

Down another fun switchback downhill, Mike was just behind me when I yell out, "Isn't this fun!!". "Yea, this is great!!". Followed by a scream and a thud.  Oops, sorry for distracting ya there.  Luckily he was ok. I guess I'll keep my mouth shut for the rest of the race.  Down the hill a little bit more, and we come out at the river.  Heh, I don't think I'm going to be able to ride this one...  It's only about chest deep.  I hope my iPod doesn't die on me.

Back on the road, roll through my former campsite/current aid station, and grab some water, as I'm completely out, Marc and Mike pass me again, and we start the nasty rocky fun.  Pass Mike again, and get past Marc in the first rock garden, and he asks me how much farther it is. I tell him probably about 12 miles, and he suddenly looks slightly worried, like he should have maybe gotten some water back there.  That was the last that I saw of them. 

Caught up to Benji just in time to follow him through Moon Rocks, which surprisingly isn't really any easier going this direction, and l thank him for showing me the line.  At this point I am feeling really good, and riding really well, going as hard as I can, because I know I have at least one guy trying to catch me.  

Heading into the last section of trail, I see Brad up ahead of me, and he's not looking too good. He asks me if I have any water, and I give him the rest of my warm accelerate.  I finally see what I hope to be the finish, and there's only 3 others standing there. I managed to get 4th overall behind TJ, Gunnar, and Joey. Sweet.

Not too bad for not racing that weekend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment